How do I get to Valcea?
If you are flying in, the nearest international airport is Henri Coandă International Airport in Bucharest. From the airport, you can take a train or bus to Râmnicu Vâlcea.
If you come by train, there are direct connections between Bucharest and Râmnicu Vâlcea, with trains running regularly throughout the day. There are also trains to Râmnicu Vâlcea from other major cities in the country.
If you prefer to travel by car, you can reach Valcea county using the national road network. For example, you can reach Râmnicu Vâlcea from Bucharest via the A1 motorway, as well as via the DN7 national road, which links the two cities.
Where am I staying?
Valcea County has a variety of accommodation options for tourists, from luxury hotels to smaller, more intimate guesthouses and pensions. The most popular areas for accommodation are the following:
1. Râmnicu Vâlcea – The county town has many accommodation options, from luxury hotels to guesthouses and apartments for rent. Some of the best hotels in the area include Ramada Hotel, Grand Hotel Sofianu, Hotel Simfonia and Hotel Traian.
2. Călimănești – This is a spa resort known for its mineral waters, which is located about 20 km from Râmnicu Vâlcea. Here you will find many hotels and guesthouses offering accommodation for tourists, such as Hotel Orizont, Hotel New Belvedere and Hotel Sinaia.
3. Baile Olanesti – Another popular seaside resort, located about 30 km from Râmnicu Vâlcea. Here, you can find a variety of hotels and guesthouses, such as Hotel Palace Olanesti, Hotel Sfântul Nicolae and Pensiunea Clasic.
4. Brezoi – It is a small town situated at the foot of the Căpățânii Mountains, known for its beautiful nature and rich local traditions. Here you can find a wide range of pensions and villas, such as Pensiunea Mara, Pensiunea Hanul Coana Ancă and Casa Piri.
5. Vidra – This is another popular destination for nature and adventure, located in the Capran Mountains. Here, you can find a variety of guesthouses and villas, such as Pensiunea Magura cu Terase, Vila Padina Runcului and Pensiunea Casa Oltului.
Whatever your choice, Valcea county has many accommodation options for all tastes and budgets.
Safety and health
As far as safety and health in Valcea County are concerned, there are institutions and organisations dealing with these issues.
The Romanian Police has national status and is responsible for carrying out activities in the field of public order and safety. It has an active and strong presence in Vâlcea county and is directed against violence and crime.
The Vâlcea Ambulance Service acts to ensure immediate intervention in case of medical emergency. It is a public institution, responsible for providing emergency medical services to the population of Vâlcea county. There are also several private hospitals and clinics in Valcea, offering medical services in various specialties.
There are also several organisations in Vâlcea county that promote healthy lifestyles and fight against drugs and other addictions. For example, there is a rehabilitation centre for people with addiction problems within the Rebirth Foundation in Valcea.
Transport and parking
Transport in Valcea County is a combination of public transport and individual travel. Here are the most important transport options available in Valcea:
– Buses: In Valcea there is a bus transport network operating on city-to-city routes as well as shorter routes within cities. There is also a bus line connecting the capital, Bucharest, to the city of Râmnicu Vâlcea.
– Trains: Vâlcea is also an important centre for rail transport, with stations in the towns of Râmnicu Vâlcea and Horezu and rail connections to cities such as Bucharest, Craiova, Pitești, Sibiu and Alba Iulia. Trains are also available for freight transport.
– Taxis: There are plenty of taxi companies in Vâlcea offering transport services from one destination to another. There are several in town centres and at key points in rural areas.
– Car rental: There are car rental companies that can provide you with a car to drive around Valcea. In Horezu, for example, you can rent ATVs and off-road vehicles to explore the mountain area.
As for parking, there are plenty of parking spaces available. Parking is available in the town centre, at the entrance/exit of the town and in industrial areas. Most of the parking spaces are paid and guarantee the safety of the vehicles. However, in rural areas there are also places where you can park for free, such as in the courtyard of a restaurant or guesthouse. It is advisable to always check with the owner before parking there to avoid problems and unexpected costs.
Info Banks, ATMs, Currency exchange
In Valcea County there is a wide range of banks and financial institutions offering banking, currency exchange and ATM services locally. These include:
1. Transilvania Bank
2. BRD – Groupe Societe Generale
3. Raiffeisen Bank
4. BCR – Banca Comercială Română
5. Credit Agricole Bank Romania
6. Alpha Bank
7. ING Bank
8. Unicredit Bank
Most of these banks have ATM networks in Valcea county, which are available 24 hours a day. In addition, exchange offices can be found in shopping malls, tourist areas or in the centre of the main towns in the county. They offer exchange services for several currencies, including euros, dollars and pounds.
It is important to mention that currency exchange can also be done through the Post Office. Here, there is a key exchange office for those who wish to exchange currency on a frequent basis.
As a recommendation, it is always good to check the foreign exchange fee and charges applied before exchanging currency or using an ATM outside your bank’s network. Also, for added security, it is advisable to always have a credit or debit card in reserve in case you have problems accessing your money.