A monastery of nuns, with the “Assumption of the Mother of God”, Govora Monastery is located at the foot of Cosul Mare hill, in the commune of Mihaiesti in Valcea county, 6 km from Baile Govora and 18 km from Ramnicu Valcea, on the former farm Hinta.
The road connection to the monastery is on the national road Ramnicu Valcea – Tg.Jiu. By rail, the monastery is 12 km from Govora railway station.
The name of the monastery comes from the Slavic “gavariti” – to speak, to say, or – spring, murmur of spring.
The monastic settlement of Govora is one of the oldest in the country, being partially built in the 14th and 15th century, under the reign of Vlad Dracul. The date on which the cross was laid for the consecration of this beautiful settlement is still unknown. In 1440 it was destroyed by the nobleman Albu the Great during the reign of Vlad Tepes, and then, between 1492 and 1496, it was rebuilt by Vlad the Monk and Radu the Great. Between 1640-1645, the ruler Matei Basarab made a total repair of the monastery in order to install the printing press donated by Metropolitan Petru Movila from Kiev. During the reign of Constantin Brancoveanu, between 1710-1711, the monastery was restored and expanded. The bell tower and the buildings on the left and north sides were erected in the early 18th century, with some modifications in the following century.
Inside the church, in addition to the valuable painting, there is a beautiful original wooden canopy, carved in the Brancovenesc style. The earthquakes of 1940, 1977 and 1986 brought great losses to the church. The whole ensemble was renovated between 1957 and 1969, the last repairs being carried out in 1986-1988.
The fact by which Govora contributed effectively to the promotion of the culture of the Romanian nation and for which it was to be forever inscribed among the monasteries of culture in the country, was the establishment of the printing press in its premises. This was done with the order and at the expense of the wise voivode Matei Basarab and with the efforts of the abbot Meletie Macedoneanul, who had brought it from Kiev, donated by Petru Movila.
Govora Monastery remains in the history of our nation as the host of the first printing in Romanian – Pravila de la Govora – after Coresi’s printing in Ardeal. The rooms in which the old printing house functioned still exist today.
Among the art treasures of Govora Monastery we mention: an Epitrahil donated by Radu the Great, with an embroidery worked in gold-silver thread and silk (Jesus, the Mother of God, Saint John and other saints are embroidered); the icon of the Mother of God the Sorrowful; the icon of the Mother of God the Sorrowful… etc.
At Govora, a place of prayer, meditation and culture, you meet the history of the homeland at every step. It is as if you see the shadow of the old kings, who with their swords stood guard defending the old borders of the country and the right faith.
This settlement awaits its visitors in a specific atmosphere of peace and quiet.
Thanks Vâlcea Turistica for permission to use the photos and information.